Saturday, April 14, 2012

No excuses....

So this is a follow up to a previous post about struggling with my morning workouts.  I am coming off of a really good week.  I made it to the gym before work all 4 days that I wanted to this week.  I felt especially good about Friday.  We went over to a friend's house on Thursday night and I didn't get home until about 10:30.  I usually like to be in bed before 10:00 if I'm gonna hit the gym at 5:00 AM.  So my recent M.O. has been to sleep through my workout and do it in the afternoon.  I hate that because by then I have other stuff I really would rather be doing.  Plus, we had dinner plans, so it could have been done, but it would have been tough.  So I got up and did my workout anyway.  And wouldn't you know, it wasn't that bad!  Once I was up and moving, I felt just fine.

When my alarm went off, I did my regular mental check to determine if I was gonna go ahead and go to the gym or just keep sleeping.  I really did want to sleep longer, but the thought of going to the gym after work was even less appealing.  I missed a workout a couple of weeks ago and hit the gym after dinner - about 6:00 PM, and can honestly say if I never do that again it is fine by me. At 5:00 AM, the gym is a quiet place with a few other early morning peeps.  Cool.  At 6:00 PM, there were people everywhere.  I barely got on a cardio machine to warm up, and then I had to wait around for the equipment I wanted to use.  Now, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that.  I firmly believe the best time to workout is the time that you will actually do it.  So if after work is the only time that you can make happen, then go for it.  And some people like the energy of a full gym.  Again, nothing wrong with that.  For myself, I like having it kinda to myself.  So when I was running through the pros and cons of working out or sleeping in, the vision of that packed gym ran through my head.  And so I got up.  And I am really glad I did.

I felt like my former self this week.  Morning workouts come hell or high water!  No excuses!  And I made it happen.  We have the power to do that - WE decide if we are going to put forth the effort or crawl back into bed.   And we live with the consequences.  There is a saying: If you want to do something, you will find a way. If you don't, you will find an excuse.  I really believe this.  And I have been guilty of finding my share of excuses along the way.   So when you come to the point where you need to make a decision, dig deep and determine if you really want it.  If you do, then use whatever resources you have at your disposal to make it happen - whether it is remembering how good you feel after a morning workout, how much you HATE going to the gym after work, or both - make it happen.  It is absolutely worth it - I promise.

Sarah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment